Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sat., Apr. 30--Third Photoclass-Composition

My plan was to photograph some interesting old buildings, barns, railroad tracks, etc. by Richmond where I live...and have either my husband or daughter pose at a key point to be framed or "pointed out" in the picture. Plans have to change sometimes! My daughter came down with a nasty stomach flu while her husband was out of town, and my husband and I rushed to help her and tend her 10-month old baby. Because of that, we were indoors all day, but we got great pictures to commemorate Dawson's 10th month!

I felt like the window sill drew a line to the baby...
(I realized later I should have my F-stop at 2.8 for people.)
S1/500 F1.8 ISO400
I was trying to decide if the water bottle helped the picture or caused a distraction..?  It makes a lot of interesting colors and its lines bring you up to the baby's face.  One reason I liked it in the picture was to show the size of the baby. 
(A little motion blur in this picture...he was fast!  Tricky not to get more blur and cut-offs!)

S1/250 F2.8 ISO400
We have a lot of yellow in our lives...which can cause color cast in our pictures...But it always can warm things up...Again I have the use of the lines of the crib and the pattern the slats make...plus COLOR!  (Complimentary blue and yellow...)  Is there a white balance setting that helps when you have too much color?
S1/80 F2.8 ISO400
It was so much color, we thought the pictures in that room would make great black and white pics....
S1/50 f2.8 ISO400

 Simon didn't want to feel left out, and plopped in the middle of the photoshoot!  If you wonder where his feet are...they are in the other dozen of pictures I took of the baby...with the baby reaching out and grabbing just a kitty foot (nothing else of the cat in those pictures...)
S1/60 F1.8 ISO400


4 comments:

  1. I love the lighting in the windowsill picture. The color in the yellow pic is really nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable grandson! I love the windowsill picture, and of course the one of Simon, as well, as I love animals!! I think the blue and yellow look great together, but do really like the b/w as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbra: Sorry your daughter was sick but how lucky you were to spend time with Dawson. I love the pictures you took of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandson Dawson is a darling! I love the one at the windowsill, the black & white (very simplistic, love the smile in his eyes) and of Simon looking very cool, calm & collect. However the other two I enjoy as well, he stands out in both.

    I hope your daughter is feeling better...

    ReplyDelete