Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sat., April 16-First Assignment Photo Basics

                                    These are my "Who Cares" or "Sweet Spot" efforts, so the second picture should be most technically correct.  It had been a drizzley day, so when a little sun peeked through, I tried to get some pictures.  Unfortunately the umbrella made metering a little difficult...I can see I wasn't perfect, and need to practice metering more...




F4.5  Exp. 1/1000  ISO 200  Focal length 32 mm
   

F8   exp. 1/500  ISO 200  Focal 32 mm

F22  Exp. 1/60  ISO 200  Focal 32 mm

This group is my storytelling pictures...I really like the scene and that the path disappears around the curve, leaving open all possibilities...I worry my metering may have had too much sky in it...again something to practice!  The first picture's aperture fits the "storytelling" attempt.

F22  Exp. 1/250  ISO 200  Focal 22 mm

F11  Exp. 1/1000  ISO 200  Focal 22 mm

F5.6  Exp. 1/4000  ISO 200  Focal 22 mm

                            This picture series is prompted by my great desire for Spring!!
The colors really attracted my eye in this neighbor's yard...I was trying for the Singular theme, and did get blur in the picture.  I almost like the second attempt better, though, because it separates the colors a little better.
F4  Exp. 1/1250   ISO 200  Focal 26 mm

F8  Exp. 1/1250  ISO 200  Focal 26 mm

F22  Exp. 1/30  ISO 200  Focal 26 mm

I had a question about whether the focal lengths of the lens will affect the pictures--the metering...do you need more light depending on which focal length you use?

All in all, I was relatively happy with the pictures, but had to restrain myself from opening them in Photoshop to tweak the light a little.  I will keep practicing metering!!!  (I assumed we weren't supposed to photoshop...)

5 comments:

  1. I like how colorful your pictures are. I am a big fan of color. And you did get some good shots of Hudson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable pic of Manda and Hudson with the colorful umbrella! I love the colors! And tulips are my favorite! Great shots! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful! I love the umbrella pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice...and so cute of you and your son! Love the vibrant flowers!!
    I know, I had to tell myself not to do any photoshopping, too! :)
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbra! Love the idea with using the colorful umbrella & your subjects are just as colorful (full of smiles)! Your "Storytelling Aperture" photos make me want to take a brisk walk down that path while taking in the beautiful scenery. And the tulips...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete